Monday, March 12, 2012

What particularly struck me was the absense of "boos" whether the speech was given by liberals or conseratives. It was a lovely evening. I loved the invocation at the beginning.|||Yes, I did listen and I would have been saddened if there were boos. I am not an Obama supporter but I think he did a wonderful job with his speech as did the others who spoke. Sometimes a tragedy like this will have good come from it and I hope the president believes what he said and this will be the beginning for positive change in a politically charged atmosphere. There couldn't be a better memorial for those who lost their life than to have our political leaders realize, along with all of us, that we are all citizens of this great nation and it's time to stop intentionally hurting others for political gain. Those who lost their lives, and the heroes of this unfolding story, deserve better ... we all do. Those people who acted in an unselfish way to help others in their time of great need didn't take time to consider what political party they were affiliated with ... they were just people who needed their help and they did what they could ... even if it cost them great harm or even loss of life. I do hope our political leaders will consider what President Obama had to say and set aside their hatred for the "other side" and come together with those whom they have disagreements with and compromise for the good of all. I believe this tragedy has touched us all and we share in the grief of those who mourn as if they were members of our own families. This should tell us something about our divisions ... hopefully that our compassion for others is greater than our desire to bring them harm.

As I looked at the face of President Obama I believe I saw true sorrow and compassion and it is my hope that this will be the beginning of a healing for our country that we have needed for so many years.|||The memorial service was on the campus of the University of Arizona in Tucson. I've read that security was high (as it should be for the President and his family).

But, I think that when high profile visitors come to campuses and speak, the students and guests are respectful and avoid casting a bad light on their school with disrespect towards speaker.

I want to mention here that I am very tired of those Westboro protesters and how they want to disrupt the victims funerals. I don't know how they prevented those folks from disrupting today's memorial service.

Good luck. I liked the speech. It is a very difficult situation for anyone to address.|||Yes, I did. I think it might be the best speech that President Obama has ever given. He concentrated on the importance of everyone coming together to help build a stronger nation where ideas can be shared without violence. He stressed the imagination of one child that all the adults who are showing such hate these days should emulate and make genuine attempts to talk to one another and really listen with our own adult imaginations, instead getting stuck like unmoving rocks with absolutely no intention of ever compromising or using our imaginations to even attempt to find other solutions. Anyone who didn't listen to his speech certainly should. It made lots and lots of sense.

Some of you have mentioned the screaming and yelling. It seems that anytime these events are scheduled in sports arenas, the behavior of the crowds reverts to sports arena behavior. I think that maybe this time that was OK. The applause and the cheers kind of added some encouragement and some hope, for me anyway.|||Obama can give a good speech. Too bad he can't run a country. I don't see how having 6 people dead and a large number wounded, could possibly equal a lovely evening. Somehow, I do not think the families of the dead, those who were wounded and their families, believed it was a lovely evening, and no matter how eloquent the speeches, nothing has changed.|||I was surprised by the yelling and whistling in the audience. I felt it was disrespectful for a memorial service. It is wonderful that Rep. Giffords has her eyes opened. I was glad to hear scripture and the reference to God for blessings of the family and nation in the President's words. I only heard the president's words.|||I agree with you, the invocation by the Native American was impressive, however the rest of it disturbed me very much..I felt it was like a big pep-rally. Not the time or place for applause or whistles.
I also know Obama was called down on his lack of emotion the other day by more than 1 news commentator..which leaves me to wonder exactly how much of his LLOONNGG speech was really sincere|||Yes I watched it and thought it was a beautiful speech. He gives a sincere message. He is not the best president ever but he is not as arrogant as George W. and a lot easier to listen to than George W, was. I didn't';t like that smirk smile George W. always had on his face. I just wanted to smack him.|||I didn't want to watch, thought it would be just too sad. I did wind up turning it on though and was so surprised to see and hear the love. Yes, it was still sad but didn't dwell on it as a negative. Very uplifting program.|||I listened. I was impressed at what everyone said....and was delighted at the enthusiastic response & support for WHAT was said.

So much NICER than the ranting hate and fear speech SOMEONE else usually babbles from morning till night.|||My hope and prayer would be that the feeling which permeated those who heard the memorial speeches would abidingly permeate our entire nation.|||I missed it. Have seen clips. Am on C-Span now to hear it discussed. I like what Obama said about more civility in public discourse.|||I listen to NOTHING the POTUS has to say about anything. The sooner he's gone the better.|||Yes, it was beautiful. I loved President Obama's speech.|||I did and I was impressed!|||I did not.|||No, I'm tired of hearing about the story.|||Nope, I was to busy on here..=)|||It was very good

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment