Monday, March 12, 2012

My husband is going on a very long hike and is wanting to find a walking stick. I have no idea where to get one. I called Academy and they do not carry them.

We are new to the area and don't really know where to look.|||I personally am not too fond of commercial "walking sticks". Usually, they are too flimsy for extended use.

Your best bet is the local lumberyard or a hardware store that carries "dowels", or "doweling". You'll want something along the line of one-inch doweling, about five feet in length.

You'll also need some medium-grit and fine-grit sandpaper, in order to finish the dowel properly. Simply sand down any rough spots until it is smooth. (Do try and pick one that has minimal rough spots.) <g>

Then, apply some preservative -- Tung Oil or Boiled linseed oil is best. (I lean towards "Formby's" brand Tung Oil, but that's me.) Apply the oil liberally, and let it soak in for about a day. Re-sand any areas which swelled out.

Apply another coat, wait a day, and sand again. Apply some more -- you want the oil to soak deep into the wood.

My stick has seen about two year's of usage, with hardly any damage.

Regards,

Gaucho|||I order stuff from these people for everything, they also offer walking sticks/shafts.
www.sportsmansguide.com

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment